11. The H/S was fully present in the Trinity in creation. Spirit hovered over the waters, H/S was breath of God, sent to create
- contends with humans, present in and among us
- dwells in us in our new heart to move us to follow and obey
- Invisible, like the wind, but you can hear it and see the spirit’s results
- Spirit is the living waters that flow from within believers
- To dwell in us required the completion of salvation (Jesus went to send the spirit)
- Advocate for Christ followers, forever, lives in us and will be in us though world does not see
- Believers are reborn into the spiritual (no longer flesh). Spirit in me = I belong to Christ
- Spirit is the ink that the Word of God is written on our hearts
- Spirit provides our competence in the new covenant, judged to life not death
- Spirit in us gives us the ability to see God with unveiled eyes and transforms us to His image
- When believed, marked with a seal, the promised H/S, a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance
- Believers are washed in merciful rebirth and renewed by H/S, poured out through Christ
That the Holy Spirit lives in me forever and it is only through the spirit in me that the world can see God. God could do direct revelation or visions or dreams to people, but He has given me the gift of manifesting the salvation of others through the revelation of the spirit in me.
a. The mark, the seal. We are saved when we are washed clean of our sins by accepting the gift of the sacrifice as payment of our sins and then and thus indwelled by the spirit. We must be changed, not to earn salvation and eternal life but because we carry the Spirit of God in us now and forever.
My Daily Journal:
What I am struck by this week and particularly today is how the word “in” keeps coming up in the study and my heart. In the beginning God. Not at the beginning but that God was fully In the beginning. God is in all creation. Also in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God… In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. Believe in Him. The spirit will live in you. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you. And we could go on and on.
The beauty this shows is the depth and closeness that God wants with us specifically. He doesn’t want to be neighbors. He doesn’t want to be roommates or even just be by or with us. God wants to be in us and us in Him, perfectly bonded together, united in glory in the spirit forever. Christ said it best in His prayer just before he left the last supper to be arrested as recorded in John 17: “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one —I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.”