My Daily Journal:
From the old testament scriptures and prophecies, the faithful were expecting a Messiah who would rule as King. As Jesus approaches His final days it has become important for clarification.
There are only 3 possibilities.
1. The scriptures and prophecies were wrong
2. The followers understanding and interpretation of the scriptures and prophecies was wrong
3. Jesus was not the Messiah
Jesus clarified that the prophecies are true and all will be fulfilled, through Him. However, instead of this happening in a single event, as followers thought they understood, He explained to them about His second coming. This was in no way a contradiction or a change to anything in the scriptures, it was, instead, an illumination on a perspective that they had not previously understood.
They had put their faith and trust in the physical church; the building (temple), the infrastructure of the pharisees and teachers of the law, the courts and offerings. So Jesus started with that. It would all be destroyed, but His word would live forever.
2. not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.
when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that they are about to take place?
End of the age = That Christ’s reign as King and Lord would not be a continuation, but a new beginning
1. Persecution of the believers, trials and betrayal (12-19); 2. Desolation of the temple, flee (20-21); 3. Time of punishment(22-24) 4. Signs in the Heavens and the return of the Son of Man (25-28)
Until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled
(from Luke) seize, persecute, handed over to synagogues and prison, trials, betrayal, everyone will hate you, dread, distress, tramples, faint with terror, apprehension, (from Matt): False christs, wars, rumors of war, nation rise against nation, famines, earthquakes, persecution, death, hatred, false prophets, deceit, wickedness, love of most will grow cold.
this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations
Missionaries have reached almost every unreached group – Local/International Missions