My Daily Journal:
There are only three possibilities.
1. Psalm was rewritten to match Jesus’ time at the cross
2. Jesus’ time on the cross was changed to match prophecy
3. These things actually happened and the prophecy fulfilled
1. Psalm 22 was written somewhere between 700 and 1000 years prior. It was published and existed in numerous places.
2. The gospels were published during a time that many eye witnesses were still alive. If the account did not match the facts there would have been widespread uproar and there would not have been such growth of the early church.
3. As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote, “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”
The fact that Jesus life and death follows point by point the prophecy is not just coincidence, it is a foreshadowing, a real prophecy. The odds of someone fulfilling every prophecy, other than by divine structure, is unfathomable. Not only that, but we see that Jesus must have known everything that was going to happen. Not only by divine revelation, but also because it was in writing.
But what about the resurrection? Psalm 22 ends before the climax of the story. But, the numbering of the Psalms came later. If you read Psalm 22-24 in order you see the death, the walk through the valley of the shadow of death and then, “Who may ascend the mountain of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? The one who has clean hands and a pure heart.”
1.my God… words Jesus spoke on the cross
1-6. scorned by everyone, despised by the people, cry out but you do not answer
7-9. all who see mock me, hurl insults, let the Lord rescue him
12-13. bulls surround, roaring lions open their mouths against me
14. I am poured out like water and all my bones are out of joint, heart melted wax
15. mouth dried up like a potsherd
16. dogs/villains pierce my hands and feet
17. all my bones are on display, people stare and gloat over me
18. divide my clothes and cast lots for my garment
19-21. but you, Lord, are not far, you are my strength, come quickly to help me
line by line direct prophecy
Not only lived, but lived exactly the life foretold, there has not been and cannot be another